Saturday, June 28, 2008

Awarenessless

It’s my fault
It took me all this time to find out
To trade faith for fact,
Goodwill for reason.

I took your words at face value:
Discourse as intentions,
Intentions as policy,
Policy as outcome.

You might say naïve,
I could stupid say,
But still, more compassion I’ll show.
I’ll assess it as “confusion”
From bursting out of this bubble,
Disoriented out of the womb;
I mistook abrasion for embrace
Control for caring,
Cruel, calculated deceit for misfortune,
Utter indifference for tough love.
Immature, yes, as I didn’t know better:
“not to me will this happen,” said I.

Well, the message hit home.
Yup, now I’m finally the wiser.
The dust in the end settled,
Yessir, I’m smarter:
I know how you work,
What you think,
What you do.
I could fill volumes
‘bout how it all reeks,
how we’re pigs for the slaughter,
how your logic is fodder for cynics
how your tactics drain all,
but I’m not gonna.

The stage is set,
The players bought into it,
It’s a hollow drum I beat,
And my call has no takers,
Perchance just a few misguided hecklers,
But the rest are just nodding:
Smirk, smile and clapping.

Let’s congratulate the clever,
Don the suit, ready the blade;
Drive it hilt-deep in the back before us:
Follow suit. The examples are plenty.
No use for my bullshit, for me or my ilk.
These words are in fact wasted ink.
Shut it down.
Lesson learned.
No more need to think.

In a wasted time, wasted people turn sightless eyes to pages full of nothing.
Faces down to the words,
Down to the ground,
Down in the dirt.
The apparatus in place churns out more nothing.
No one’s at the wheel, driving nowhere:
Nothing will alter this bearing-less course.
Naught, never, neither, none.
It matters not.

2 comments:

Heather Marie Philipp said...

Beautiful movement of grace and intellect... please give us some more! :)

J.Miranda said...

kind words stoke my fire...